“Personal Injury”, or tort law, is the law that covers any wrong or damage done to another person or his property, rights, or reputation. The laws covering personal injury allow the injured party to receive compensation for damages caused by someone else’s carelessness, negligence, recklessness, or intentional actions.
If you are the victim of a personal injury, there are several things you can do to help yourself.
- Seek proper medical attention.
- Report your incident to the proper authorities.
- Notify your own insurance company.
- Contact an attorney if you believe your injury was caused by the carelessness or intentional act of another.
- Avoid discussing your situation with strangers or other insurance companies. Only provide information to the police, your physicians and your insurance company.
- Be aware that most personal injury cases are covered by a statue of limitations.