Common Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

I was injured in a car accident, now what?

What am I entitled to if I am involved in an accident caused by another driver ?
There are two separate claims, a Property Damage claim and a Personal Injury claim. Usually, you will settle your property claim first.

Property Damage: Repair or replacement of your vehicle. The responsible party or their insurance company will pay for repairs to your vehicle. If the cost of repairing the vehicle is more than the car is worth, the insurance company will pay you the Fair Market Value of your vehicle.

Damage or Destruction of personal items: If any personal items were damaged or destroyed in the accident (for example:  eye glasses, car seats, cell phones, etc.) you are entitled to have those items repaired or replaced.

Rental Car:  Under Arizona law, you are entitled to a rental car for each day that you will be without a car. Once the insurance company has repaired your car or made you an offer for the Fair Market Value of your vehicle, there is no longer an obligation to provide you with a rental car. If you are unable to rent a car, you are entitled to a monetary amount for loss of use for each day that you are without a vehicle.

Personal Injury: The following damages make up your personal injury claim:

  1. Medical expenses: You are entitled to compensation for all of your medical expenses related to the car accident.
  2. Lost Wages: If you are unable to work because of your injuries, you can recover lost wages.
  3. Incidental expenses: Any money that you have spent out of your own pocket due to accident related expenses (for example; prescriptions, mileage to the doctor, etc.) .
  4. Pain and suffering: In Arizona you are allowed to recover for your pain and suffering.

What is my Pain and Suffering worth?
It is difficult to place a value on pain and suffering. Insurance companies will look at a number of factors in order to determine Pain and Suffering damages. The relevant factors include but are not limited to the following:  the severity of the accident, damage to the vehicles,  nature and type of injuries, medical care, length of medical treatment, diagnosis and prognosis, permanency of injuries.  All of these factors affect the pain and suffering value of your case.

What if the driver of the vehicle I was in caused the accident?
As a passenger, you have a claim against any responsible party, including your own driver.

What if I am injured and do not have health insurance or can’t afford a doctor?
If you do not have insurance and have been injured you may be eligible to apply for AHCCCS.  Many times those that are injured and go to the emergency room will be able to apply for AHCCCS from the hospital.  However, it may take a couple of weeks for AHCCCS to determine eligibility.  During this time, you do not want to go without necessary treatment.

Lyons Law Offices works with doctors throughout Arizona who will treat an injured person on a lien basis.  This mean that you can receive necessary medical care, and the medical providers will wait for payment until your case settles.  oviding you with the names and phone numbers of medical care providers in your area who will agree to treat you for your injuries on a lien basis. They will agree to provide you with medical care with the understanding that you will pay them out of the proceeds of any settlement that you receive when your case is concluded.

How expensive is it to hire an attorney to represent me?
Our firm handles auto accident and other personal injury cases on a contingent fee basis. This means that if we agree to take your case, we will only take a fee for ourselves if we are successful in collecting something from an insurance company or the responsible party. If the case is not successful, there is no fee.